I am absolutely a lover of mushrooms... all mushrooms! I think they are totally fascinating, and beautiful and mysterious. Recently in my centres we have decided to not allow the children to touch the mushrooms which grow in abundance on our 2 acre property. You might be thinking, "Of course, you don't allow children to touch mushrooms, they're deadly poisonous!"
But we do allow it, well did.
We took a vote.... there were 10 of us sitting at the table when we decided to discuss our feelings on mushrooms.
They truly are remarkable... wondrous and fantastic... but is the risk simply too high?
In a licensed childcare setting such as mine, I grapple daily with the upper hand of VIHA and the practicing educators who really know and trust the children in their care. I have to weigh the costs and the what-if's of every situation.... it's not easy.
We had an expert (horticulturist) come walk through our 2 acre property and identify the plants, berries, leaves and bushes that could be harmful and are poisonous to touch or eat. She didn't know a lot about mushrooms, but her recommendations were pretty clear to stay away when in doubt.
Some of the educators felt very strongly that they could trust the children around the mushrooms.... as they have come to respect their presence.....
"The children know they are there, and they know not to touch them." one educator commented.
The debate continues....
I feel at this time, until I can properly identify them myself, that leaving them alone is the safest bet for our program. Also, photographing them is still a hobby of mine, so it is really great when I find them full and juicy and bursting with splendor.
Thanks for reading,